If you are experiencing discomfort in the back of your mouth or jaw, it may be time to consider having your wisdom teeth removed. Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, typically emerge between the ages of 17 and 25, and can cause problems such as pain, infections, and overcrowding in the mouth. Here at URBN Dental, we offer professional and safe wisdom tooth extraction and teeth removal procedures to help alleviate any pain or discomfort you may be experiencing.
Wisdom Teeth Removal Procedure
At URBN Dental, we understand that the thought of having your wisdom teeth removed can be intimidating. However, our team of experienced dentists will make sure that the procedure is as comfortable and painless as possible. The process of wisdom teeth removal typically involves the following steps:
- Evaluation: Before the actual extraction, we will conduct a thorough evaluation of your teeth and mouth, which may include X-rays, to determine the best course of action for your specific case.
- Anesthesia: To minimize pain and discomfort during the procedure, we will administer anesthesia. Depending on your individual case and preferences, we may recommend general anesthesia or local anesthesia.
- Extraction: Once the anesthesia has taken effect, the actual extraction process will begin. Our skilled dentists will carefully remove the wisdom teeth from the gums, ensuring that all parts of the tooth are removed to prevent any potential complications.
- Post-Extraction Care: After the extraction, we will provide you with detailed instructions on how to care for your mouth and promote healing. We may also prescribe medications to help manage any pain or swelling that may occur.
Wisdom Tooth Removal Cost
The cost of wisdom teeth removal can vary depending on a variety of factors, including the complexity of the procedure, the type of anesthesia used, and your insurance coverage. At URBN Dental, we believe in transparency and will provide you with a clear breakdown of all costs associated with the procedure during your consultation. We also offer various payment options and will work with you to find the best solution to fit your budget.
Wisdom Teeth Removal Recovery
The recovery process following wisdom teeth removal can vary depending on your individual case, but in most cases, you can expect to experience some discomfort and swelling in the days following the procedure. However, by following the post-extraction care instructions provided by our team, you can help minimize any unnecessary pain, or complications and promote healing.
Here are some general tips to help aid in the recovery process:
- Rest: It is important to get plenty of rest in the days following the procedure to allow your body to heal.
- Ice: Applying ice to the affected area can help reduce swelling and discomfort.
- Soft Foods: Stick to soft, easy-to-eat foods such as soups, smoothies, and mashed potatoes for the first few days following the procedure.
- Oral Hygiene: It is important to continue to brush your teeth and rinse your mouth with saltwater as instructed by our team to prevent infection.
- Follow-Up Appointment: We will schedule a follow-up appointment with you to evaluate the healing process and ensure that there are no complications.
Common Complications During and After Wisdom Teeth Removal
While wisdom teeth removal is generally a safe and routine procedure, there are some potential complications that can arise during and after the wisdom teeth extraction itself. Some of the most common complications include:
- Dry Socket: This occurs when the blood clot that forms in the extraction site becomes dislodged, exposing the bone and nerves underneath. This can be very painful and may require additional treatment to alleviate the discomfort.
- Infection: Any surgical procedure carries a risk of infection, and wisdom teeth removal is no exception. It is important to follow the post-extraction care instructions provided by your dentist to help prevent infection.
- Nerve Damage: The nerves that control sensation and movement in the tongue, lower lip, and chin are located near the wisdom teeth. In some cases, these nerves can be damaged during the extraction process, resulting in numbness, tingling, or pain in these areas.
- Bleeding: It is normal to experience some bleeding following wisdom teeth removal, but if the bleeding does not stop after a few hours or is excessive, it may indicate a more serious problem.
If you experience any of these complications or have any concerns following your wisdom teeth removal surgery, it is important to contact your dentist immediately. With prompt treatment, most complications can be successfully managed and resolved.
Who Needs Wisdom Teeth Removed?
Not everyone needs to have their wisdom teeth removed. In some cases, the wisdom teeth may emerge without causing any problems, and can be left in place. However, in many cases, wisdom teeth can cause a variety of issues, including:
- Overcrowding: Wisdom teeth can cause overcrowding in the mouth, which can lead to misaligned teeth and bite problems.
- Impaction: If the wisdom teeth do not have enough space to emerge fully, they can become impacted, or trapped beneath the gums. This can cause pain, swelling, and infection.
- Infection: When wisdom teeth partially emerge, they can create a pocket where bacteria can accumulate, leading to infection and inflammation.
- Damage to surrounding teeth: Wisdom teeth can put pressure on surrounding teeth, causing them to shift and become misaligned.
Your dentist will evaluate your specific case and recommend whether or not wisdom teeth removal is necessary. It is important to have regular dental check-ups to monitor the growth and development of your teeth, and to address any potential issues before they become more serious. If you are experiencing any discomfort or pain in the back of your mouth or jaw, it is important to schedule an appointment with your dentist to determine the cause and appropriate treatment.
Why Choose URBN Dental for Wisdom Teeth Removal
At URBN Dental, we understand that having your wisdom teeth removed can be a daunting process. That is why we are committed to providing the highest quality of care and ensuring that our patients feel comfortable and informed throughout the entire procedure. Our team of experienced dentists uses the latest technology and techniques to ensure that your wisdom teeth removal is as painless and efficient as possible. We also offer a variety of payment options and work with most insurance providers to make the process as affordable as possible for our patients.
In addition to wisdom teeth removal, we offer a wide range of dental services to help you maintain optimal oral health. From routine cleanings and check-ups to more complex procedures such as dental implants and cosmetic dentistry, our team is dedicated to providing personalized care and helping you achieve your dental goals. We also understand that dental emergencies can happen at any time. That is why we offer same-day dental emergency appointments to provide our patients with the prompt care they need to alleviate pain and prevent further complications.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step towards a healthier, pain-free mouth. With multiple locations in Houston, we are here to provide you with more access to the quality dental care you deserve.